Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Dreamer

I spent my day dreaming. Well, not all day, I suppose. . . but most of it. I don't know what got me started. That's the way it usually happens. I wake up thinking about something and then start dreaming about where to take it, or something will spark my imagination and off I go again.

Today, I was dreaming of the little lot of land I own in Tennessee. I started off thinking about going down to till up some of the man-high weeds and plant grass (in fact lunch with Anne was spent exchanging schedules so we could plan a trip to our 2 acre lot -- she is such a good sport), and finished up going to the hardware store to price out materials for building a dome greenhouse (as a camp site).

Before you wonder, the answer is yes. While I was dreaming, I also came up with a plan to build my own composting toilet. Now the execution of that plan is another matter altogether.

Of course, that I am physically unable to do most of the work to build the dome structure (especially without help) is beside the point. For example, one of my great weaknesses is that I have serious problems with my equilibrium. This single deficit prevents me from standing on ladders or stools to do things, walk straight lines, carry/lift heavy objects, etc. So how do you think I would construct the top (the roof) of a dome structure? I have no idea. I just know I want to do it. That is part of the reason I married a do-er rather than a dreamer.

Ah, yes. I am a dreamer and I dream big. It is the bane of my existence. It is probably one of the things my husband dislikes most about me. You see, he got dragged into executing my dreams. (He was always calling me a "crazy woman" because of them, too.) But he definitely benefitted from my "craziness." And now that he is away for a season, at least dreaming keeps me occupied, or rather, preoccupied.

I am happy with my "crazy" dreams. Without them I would never have taken the risk to buy my two acres in Tennessee, or the tax sale home in Northern Wisconsin, or written two books and be working on my third. I would also not have earned a Bachelor's degree following two strokes and four brain surgeries, especially as a single mom.

Dreams are good. Even if we do not always reach them, our dreams give us direction and motivation to accomplish things that we likely would not accomplish without them. Look at anyone who is truly successful and see the realization of a "crazy" dream. If dreaming makes people crazy, I am glad to be counted among the insane.

Maybe tomorrow I might visit "reality" for a little while. I have not yet decided. But if I do, I have a feeling my stay will not be long.

No comments:

Post a Comment