Monday, January 18, 2016

Bowling in Dallas (Dallas Day 2)

I awoke early on Saturday morning. Debbie's apartment was dark but I noticed she was awake when I tiptoed out of the bathroom. Okay, let's be real. I was way too tired to tiptoe. It was more of a stumble and bump into the walls kind of morning for me. In fact, I probably woke her up with my clattering around.

Nevertheless, my friend was awake when I exited her bathroom and I was delighted to take advantage of the opportunity to talk. After a bit, she got up to pull out a coffee cake and make a fresh pot of coffee. Breakfast and conversation at the same time. Nice.

Mid-morning, Debbie asked if we would like to go bowling. A friend of hers was having a birthday party for her twins and none of their friends had RSVPed, so she asked if Debbie would come with her daughter and us. Bowling sounded like a fine idea, even though I am not much of a bowler and had not bowled in a very long time. Still, it sounded like a fun way to spend a few hours and there would be cake. Who sane passes up on free birthday cake? Not I!

At the bowling alley, Debbie found her friend in the midst of a small group of children (with accompanying adults). It seems people do not RSVP until the last minute, these days. Not to worry. There were plenty of lanes available. Debbie sprang for a lane and some bowling shoes, and our party of four found a lane where we could play. (Though we also capitalized on the free birthday cake and pizza, plus we lent our voices to a rousing round of "Happy Birthday to You.")

It was a good time and I am glad we went. I will say, though, it was more than a little humiliating when I slipped and fell on my first turn -- especially with all the children nearby and doing just fine in their slippery bowling shoes. Not only did I wipe out on the hard floor and bruise both my left knee and my ego, but I did not knock down even one pin! How embarrassing. (See my first score in the photo? Zero. I may just need to join a bowling league so I can remedy my humiliating failure.)

After bowling, we were not hungry enough to visit Tallywackers (besides, it was creeping into happy hour) so we stopped at the grocery and went back to Debbie's. She thinks I am a good cook, so I plopped something simple in her slow cooker to prove her right. I cannot even remember what it was. Something with chicken, I think. Debbie is just always so positive about my cooking that I could not pass up the opportunity to be appreciated. It happens so rarely.

I think we watched TV for a while after that, but mostly we just talked and enjoyed each other's company. We need to make a point to get together more often. Seven years is too long between visits with good friends.

~To be continued~

No comments:

Post a Comment