Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Game

One of Anne's clubs is hot and heavy into a project, so she stayed late at school again tonight. I actually picked her up before she was ready to go, but it was about 20 till six, so I really do not feel bad about getting her. When she got into the car, I started driving right away.

I was just beginning to open my mouth and give her dinner options when she asked, "What's for dinner tonight?"

Laughing, I answered, "I was just going to ask you that! Here are your options: I picked up a couple of microwave dinners. They are soft, chicken tortilla things. Or we can go to Chipotle." (This is our favorite burrito restaurant, but it is a bit of a drive from home.)

Her answer was instant, no thinking involved, "Chipotle."

"There are a lot more calories in Chipotle," I warned.

"I know." We drove out to the restaurant.

I was at the table, getting ready to take my first bite, when Anne approached the table with her drink. "Oh, darn," she remarked. "I just lost The Game."

"Game?" I wanted to know. "What game?"

"The Game."

"What game?"

She gave me a sideways glance, "You don't know what The Game is, do you?"

"What game?"

"The Game is to not think of The Game," Anne defined with a smirk.

"What? That's not a game."

"Yeah, it is. It's The Game," she countered.

"What game? There is no game!"

"Yeah, The Game is to not think of The Game."

"What game?" I took a bite of my salad. This was ridiculous and I was done with the argument. Not thinking of Not thinking of Not thinking of Not thinking of... is NOT a game. It is a circular paradox. I finished with circular paradoxes when I figured out the answer to "What came first, the chicken or the egg?" and came to terms with, "There is an exception to every rule except the rule that there is an exception to every rule, which proves the rule that there is an exception to every rule."

(BTW - Answer 1: The chicken, because actuality precedes potentiality. Answer 2: God is perfect. No exception to that rule, therefore proving FALSE the rule that there is an exception to every rule.)

Arguing with someone who has a mouth full of food is rather one-sided. So Anne shrugged and was quiet, a little twist evident at the corners of her mouth.

I swallowed before announcing, "I'm going to tell Phillip." (Anne's big brother who lives far away.)

She sat back in her seat with a big grin, "Phillip probably already knows about The Game."

No comments:

Post a Comment