Monday, February 22, 2016

Princesses for a Day

I grew up visiting New Orleans. My grandparents' house was in uptown and we visited them about once a year, usually for about a week in the heat of August. When we visited, Dad always took us down to Jackson Square and usually also to +Cafe du Monde.

This was the only time during the year that I got to see my dad's family and I wished our visit could last all year long. Then Grandma and Grandpa sold their house in uptown New Orleans and moved to Kenner. I was a senior in college that year. I know because the house was sold in summer and my parents went down to see it one last time. I could have gone with them, but that was the year that I took summer classes. So I could not say goodbye. Now, as an adult, when I find myself in New Orleans, I always wind up driving down Napoleon Avenue to look at grandma's old house and
I make sure to visit Cafe du Monde at least once while I am in town.

Because of the expense, I have not been to New Orleans since just after Hurricane Katrina and I knew that driving down to south-east Austin this year would financially wipe me out for several years to come. So, before I left on my long journey, I emailed bot of my uncles who still live in the New Orleans suburbs to see if Anne and I could stop by for a day. It took a while to get a response, but one of them did respond. It was my uncle the doctor, the one who is briefly mentioned in Memory of Miracles.

I had no idea what a treat I was in for.

I kind of planned to drive past the old house on our way to my uncle's place, visit with his family for the afternoon and then continue on our journey in the morning. But I miscalculated the time it would take for our drive and Anne and I arrived in Covington (the New Orleans suburb) at dinner time. There was barely enough time to visit, much less drive into the city. We drove straight to my uncle's house.

I think it was my first time ever driving into a gated community -- something I always kind of rolled my eyes at. I mean, really. Why pay annual dues to go through a gate when you drive home? But I have to admit, I now know why the community is gated: Woods and wildlife, private golf course, private community center, every home a mansion, affluent neighbors who know all the neighborhood goings-on, the feeling of security in knowing only residents and their guests will be in the community, and I am reasonably sure there is river access somewhere in there. I am hooked. I want to live in a gated community when I grow up... in Italy or the Caribbean.

Both of my uncles, their wives and 3 of my cousins were waiting for us when we arrived. They took us to a little seafood place and the uncle with whom we were staying picked up Anne's and my tab. Somewhere in here, I asked if we could stay a second night. Of course, that was fine. Then one uncle and aunt went home and my cousin the college student went back to his dormitory -- but not before I snapped his photo with Anne. (Note to future boyfriends and spouse: This is my daughter's large, Italian cousin.)

The next morning, my uncle was off to work and we could have driven into New Orleans. I really wanted Cafe du Monde while I was so close, but I did NOT feel like driving an hour to get it. I was sooo tired of driving and "tomorrow" I anticipated driving 600 miles more. Luckily, Donna (my uncle's wife) offered to drive for us.

Little did I know that Cafe du Monde is not just downtown. They have a Covington location! So Anne and I got Cafe du Monde with family and without my having to drive an hour through city traffic. How perfect. Afterwards, we spent a near idyllic day in the warm weather of New Orleans putzing around town and running errands with family. I found the whole day comfortable and relaxing.

That night, my family gathered again for dinner. This time, we stayed in at "the mansion" and my uncle grilled some of the best steak I think I have ever eaten. It was really nice to get together with my dad's family in New Orleans (suburbs) again after so long. I wish our visit could have lasted all year.

Alas, we were only princesses for a day. "Tomorrow" was a new day and we would have to leave on our long drive back to the cold north.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete