Monday, October 10, 2011

Turkey Encounter

"Oh, look! Turkeys!" my teenage daughter, Anne, exclaimed as I pulled out of the driveway (wearing my pajamas again) to drive her to school.

I stepped on the brake to look out my window. I saw nothing. "Where?" I asked.

"Over there," Anne indicated our neighbor's yard.

"Well, of course I can't see them. Skip probably has them in some kind of a cage near the treeline," I thought as I took my foot off the brake to continue pulling out of the driveway.

I snorted, "If I were a turkey, I would not want to be in anybody's back yard right before Thanksgiving."

Anne nodded with a chuckle and sarcastic comment, "I wonder what's going to happen to them." We continued on to her school, after which I came directlty home.

Turning into our subdivision, I saw a small bunch of Wild Turkeys poking around in our back yard beside the street. I counted six. My car approaching the driveway served to herd them deeper into my back yard and I had to drive very slowly so as not to run one of them over while I pulled in to park. (I wish I would have had my camera in the car with me!)

 

Silently, I mused to myself, "They're wild and they're not even afraid of my car? Hmm. No wonder the pilgrims ate turkey for Thanksgiving."

No comments:

Post a Comment