Friday, November 9, 2012

The Season of Infidelity Trauma

It is that time of year again: The Season of Infidelity Trauma. Every year, around the Thanksgiving / Christmas holiday season, women and men across the United States (possibly the world, but I have not asked my resources in other countries about it) learn of their spouses' infidelity. Many of those injured spouses will be slapped with undeserved, unwanted and un-Biblical "no-fault" divorce suits. Others will decide they do not want to be attached to adulterers and will also opt for divorce. Still others will try to make it work by suffering through the infidelity in hopes of the unfaithful spouse coming to his/her senses and agreeing to work on the marriage. But this is the season when many, many discoveries of infidelity are made.

When I was working on my Church's new picture directory last Saturday, I learned of two families in my church who are going through the ordeal. One that I met by strange "coincidence" (in other words, mini-miracle disguised as chance) is a sweet, hearing-impaired, little old lady who appears absolutely devastated. The "other woman" (who I also met in that same afternoon and by yet more strange "coincidence") is a large woman, old enough to be the wife's grandchild. The husband? You guessed it. He is an old man and is an active member in the Church.

Fortunately, I had recently given our parish office copies of all my books. One of the priests has the small stack on his night stand waiting to be read at this very moment. I hope he gets around to reading them soon so that he can have a more thorough understanding of the situation and be better able to help the parishoners who need him.

Then when I was taking a break from cooking to eat a $5 lunch at my local pizza parlor today, I sat across the aisle from a couple of older women whose conversation about one of their medical problems was driving me a mite crazy. . . until the conversation turned and my ears perked up. I just listened. I did not say anything. One of the old ladies started talking about her daughter's husband (I think) and how he comes home, demands his dinner, and then sits in front of the television or  computer all evening long. That is all he does and he barely interacts with his poor wife.

When I heard that, my INSTANT thought was, "He's cheating." Still, I said nothing. Even one day can be so valuable. What would I give for just one less day of knowing that excruciating pain? I don't know and I never will. My own beloved husband's infidelity was revealed five years ago this month.

Then when I got home, I checked my email, Facebook fan page and Amazon KDP sales page. Another copy of Navigating Marital Abandonment sold between yesterday and today. This one was sold in the USA. (Yes, I keep tabs on which countries buy my ebooks. Last month, the U.K. was my top buyer. This month, it is the U.S.A. One of these days, when I start my public speaking engagements, these are the countries I plan to visit.)

It is just relentless. Every year at this time, it is the same thing. Instead of holiday joy, my heart aches for the families who will be injured during the Season of Infidelity Trauma. All I want to do is reach out with comfort for them. Alas, I am just one person and there is no way I could either locate or emotionally deal with all that pain. I am glad I was prompted to write and self-publish books that can help do that for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment