Monday, February 15, 2016

Local Helicopter Crash!

Apologies for this interruption to my Christmas travel story line.

On Sunday night, I was tuned in to my local HAM radio net (I almost always listen to it but I seldom participate) when I heard mention of a helicopter crash. From the way the club member and moderator spoke, it sounded like the crash was local. But after another person's comments on the net, I was uncertain if it was local or in Chicago. So I waited till after the net, then called my mom. She is our family's news buff.

picture on Facebook
Surprisingly, Mom had not watched the news all weekend long. She had no information to share with me. So I did a quick online search. Of course, I did not know where the crash took place so that did not help me find any information. (It is out there with the correct keywords, though.) Not finding any details, I figured it was more trouble to look for the information than the information was worth and I gave up looking for it.

Then this morning, I saw this picture on Facebook from a local contact. From this, I derived that the crash was indeed a local accident.
Today, at lunch, I inquired of the "man in the know" -- manager Mike. (He talks to all the patrons at the restaurant he manages, so he hears all the good news.) From what he told me, I was able to pull up one news article. Thankfully, +KTTC, NBC news in Green Bay, Wisconsin, wrote 70 words about the story.

picture from KTTC (NBC news)
About two miles from my house, just on the Michigan side of the State line, there is a helicopter manufacturer named +Enstrom. Enstrom has a new helicopter design in development called the TH 180 trainer that seems to have been being tested on February 12. At a little before noon, something happened that caused the pilot of the craft to crash land. He did so with amazing skill, avoiding homes, vehicles and people on the city street where he put the chopper down. (I an quite impressed.) From the very short news report I read, the un-named pilot suffered only minor injuries from the crash and was able to walk to an ambulance which, I assume, took him to the local hospital for evaluation. The helicopter... well... from what it looks like in the pictures, its injuries were more substantial.

So, for all my local (to me) readers, that is the breaking news on the helicopter crash that happened last Friday and I somehow missed until last night... even though it happened only about 2 miles from my house. (It is a really good thing I write fiction stories instead of news stories. LOL)

No comments:

Post a Comment