Thursday, May 6, 2010

My Imaginary Friend

When I attended Carroll College, about two decades ago (shhh), I made friends with another student named Holly Hartz. She graduated before I did, but we stayed good friends until she got married and moved away. It was after Holly moved away when I met and married my husband. And our wedding was a very small, private, spur-of-the-moment “ceremony.” So my honey never got the opportunity to meet my friend, Holly.

Holly and I would usually send each other Christmas cards. One year, she even mailed me a CD of some Christmas carols she sang. (Holly is an amazing vocalist!) And there were a few letters sent between us. But still my husband had never met or talked to Holly. And the only photo I had of my friend was a very blurry picture taken at my son's fifth birthday party. So I could not even show my hubby what Holly looked like!

My friendship with Holly was a great source of amusement for my husband as he teased me that I had made Holly up. Mercilessly, he postulated that she was really just my imaginary friend. It was the running joke in my house.

Life happened and Holly and I both moved back to the Waukesha, Wisconsin area. Twenty years after we first became friends, we reconnected with each other over Facebook and the internet. Today, we met for coffee to catch up with each other. And I finally got a picture of myself with Holly!

Please see here the picture of me with my imaginary friend beside me.

No comments:

Post a Comment