Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sound Sleep


Yesterday, Saturday, was business as usual until just before 5 pm. That was when I got a strange feeling of what I can only describe as wanderlust. It is also when a few drops of rain began to sprinkle from a very grey sky.

Knowing I needed to return a movie (coincidentally named “Wanderlust”) and anticipating heavy rainfall, I picked up my purse and headed out to the car in time that I did not get drenched. While I was out, I grabbed some pizza for dinner, then I came home by way of the lake and our local “Waterfront Days” – which is when our community holds our Independence Day fireworks celebration.

The rain lasted for hours. A little after 9 pm, I headed upstairs to bed with my laptop to watch one of my television shows. It was around 10 pm just as I was turning out the light, that I heard the Waterfront fireworks begin. I reflected that the rain had let up just in time, then fell fast asleep.
I must have slept very soundly.

This morning, I awoke refreshed and with a song in my heart around 6:30. Church is at 7:30, so I let the dog out and proceeded to ready myself. As I entered my office to look for my sandals, I was irritated to see a board in my desk chair. Strangely, though, it did not occur to me that I had not left a board in my chair last night and I am the only person in the house. No, it just irritated me that a board was in my chair and I could not sit to look for my sandals without moving the board. So I stood to look.


Fortunately, my sandals were right next to a sofa and I sat on the sofa to put them on my feet. Then I heard a noise. It was my phone off the hook. I looked over at the phone on my desk. Then I finally noticed what I had been missing all along.

This room has an interesting ceiling. The people before me covered a large portion of it with boards and when I took possession of the home, my family and I decided it would be less work to finish covering the ceiling with matching boards than it would be to try to remove the boards that were already in place. So that is what we did. (Of course, I have equilibrium issues, so my family members were the ones who actually did the work.) We finished the ceiling.

Remember that irritating board in my chair this morning? Guess where it came from. Yep, the ceiling. Guess what else came with it and was laying on the floor beside my chair? The entire rest of the ceiling that my family installed for me.


I cannot even imagine: How did I miss that when I walked into the room? And how did I ever sleep through the sound of the ceiling crashing to the floor almost directly below my bedroom?

2 comments:

  1. Aaaaaaand that is why you tear down the ugly ceiling. Mark will be sad when he sees that...

    ReplyDelete