Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Highlighs From Today

Long day today with lots of buzzing around town. Highlights include:

#1  I went to lunch at my favorite Mexican restaurant today. The new gentleman server who has waited my lunch table several times was there. (I think he works every weekday, which is when I go.) We wound up chatting a bit, as is my normal habit wherever I go, and I divulged that I will be moving in a couple of months. He was mildly distressed and asked how he would see me when I moved. I simply said he wouldn't, then volunteered that he could read my blog. (I am always looking for new readers!)

Oops. There I go being overly friendly again. (? 'You won't see me any more, but you can read my blog' is obviously flirtatious. Don't you think?) Next thing I knew, I was writing down my Facebook user name, website url, and CELL PHONE NUMBER so that I would not hurt the man's feelings. (I considered giving my personal prodigal's number, but thought better of it when I imagined his response.) Some strange comment about my husband shooting him was made. (I assured him that nobody would shoot him but me. He seemed to take to that pretty well. He must think I don't look like I would shoot someone??) Then I finished my lunch and left, a little confused at how a virtual stranger got my cell number out of me so easily.

Later in the day, he called. I was busy and let the call go to voicemail. About an hour later, he called again. I was driving at the time, waiting for a call from Natalie, and Anne saw the name on my caller ID. (I saved the number after his first call.) She wanted to know who it was. I said it was "just some guy" and I would call back later. She did not press the issue. (Whew!) Well, I could not have the man leaving messages every hour on the hour, so I called back and told him I was too busy to talk. He wanted to know when I would be coming again to the restaurant so that he could take me shopping after his shift. Ugh. Whereas I already felt pretty uncomfortable, I now began feeling severe discomfort. I asked his working hours and told him we will have to see what happens. Then, before I hung up, he told me I "looked very pretty today."

I thanked the man, but I inwardly thought, "No, no, no, no, no." There is really no way to doubt his intentions at this point.

Now, I am all about making friends, I love the warmth of Hispanic people in general, having a friend to wean me onto the Spanish language would be very appealing, and this guy seemed pleasant enough, but... I wear a gold ring on my wedding ring finger for a reason.

I begin my new diet next week -- and no more lunches out.

#2  I called the plumber today about fixing my kitchen sink at my project house. I am being squeezed into Friday morning's schedule because I am such a good, repeat customer. Ha ha ha. Good news is this gives me the opportunity to drive with my good friend, Natalie, up to the house. She has not yet seen it and I now have an excuse to show her how to easily find my future home.

#3 Anne and I went to the office store this evening to have a couple of PDFs made of documents she needs for school. A new guy was in the copy center (which means another one of my familiar guys is gone). So I was chatting with the young man, like I do with everyone, and he mentioned something about being a senior in school. I asked which school. He named our local high school.

"Oh!" I exclaimed, then turned to Anne and asked if they knew each other.

Anne said, "No. We must run in different circles."

"Ouch! That's harsh," the young man replied, smiling while looking at his work.

Anne's eyes grew wide. She justified, "I'm pretty sure we have never had a class together."
Still looking at the computer screen, the young man responded, smiling, "I'm pretty sure you were with me in Mrs. [so-and-so]'s English class last year," then proceeded to name her junior-year boyfriend.

We all had a good chuckle over Anne not remembering one of last year's classmates. (But she remembers him now!)

1 comment:

  1. Utility sink faucets are almost always created from stainless steel, probably the most durable material out there in terms of becoming able to tolerate heavy use together with outdoor exposure.

    ReplyDelete