Saturday, December 20, 2014

A Fresh Beginning (part 4)

We have run through "C" the phisher. "R" is emailing me from afar and "B" is messaging me from in town.

On Day 7, I got another message from "B" before his work began. "R" and I are still emailing and he is kind of interesting. He has been checking out all my online profiles and found my Youtube videos.

I also received an email from "M" that told me he was not seeing anyone else and so he thought that I should not see anyone else. He demanded that I choose between him and "the other" guy.  Okay. I am not into being controlled by men I barely know. I did not know the other guy either, but I did not care. I just didn't want to play "M's" game. Besides, his written English was pretty poor for a guy who supposedly was raised in Chicago and has a Master's Degree. Something about him was fishy, so I let him go.

Done with that budding relationship (probably phishing scheme), I went on the site and guess who was there? "D!" (Yay!) So I opened a chat with him. This Ph.D.'s written English was not so good either, but he had told me that his mother was Hispanic and he had done his Master's degree in Spain, so I imagined that his primary language must be Spanish. I messaged him, "No hablo espanol, pero m'ija hablas un poco." Alright, I admit it. I really do know nothing and probably butchered that pretty badly. I was kind of expecting him to say something about it -- an answer in English to what I had said or even just an acknowledgement that I had made a bad attempt at his mother tongue.

Nothing. Weird.

After a minute or two more, he asked if he could call me. I said okay and gave him my number. He called and guess what? He did NOT have a Hispanic accent. His accent was more... English? No, upon long reflection, I identified it as African. But our phone call was short because my dog started to bark, so I did not identify the accent until well after the call. In fact, right after the call, we got back on chat. I asked about the "English" accent and he reminded me that his Ph. D. was acquired in England. With his written English being as bad as it was, I had to ask the burning question. Did he speak Spanish? His answer was no.

Think I am being too picky about the English? Yes, well. I am known to be a "grammar Nazi." So how about a sample" from "D's" 15 line email to me?

In 15 lines, this Ph.D. -- a native English speaker who has supposedly written and defended a dissertation, wrote,
"...thanks for replying back to my short message i am very glad about it..." (awkward)
"...i  was born in Chicago, my dad originally from Chicago and my mom from Spain..." (missing at east one verb)
"...i am the only child of my parent" (speaking of two parents)
"...i was getting responds from a lady telling me , shes gonna rap me..." (so many things wrong)
"...there is nothing like been happy with what you do, my job is like a fun to me..." (LOL I am adopting the term, "like a fun.")
"...listening to good music, most times the gospel music..." (Personally, I enjoy the classic rock and the new country music.)
"...i believe in God so much cos his everything to me, his the reason for everything...." (What if God is a woman? Is hers everything to you and hers the reason for living?)
"...Would love to get to know you much more better and also know the kind of man you looking for... bye for now and hope to hearing back from you." (If you're gonna do it, do it right. It is "Mo' betta." I not hoping to hearing back from this prize-winning stud. Ph.D.? Seriously?)

Needless to say, it was a real mistake for this man to call me. His accent sparked a series of questions that cinched it for me: He was definitely lying and almost certainly another phisher.

Wait. There is more for Day 7.

"B" asked me out on a date! I accepted and the date was set for Day 8.

This is where the story stops (for now) because the date was awful and I don't want to embarrass either "B" or, more importantly, myself (for not just cutting it short). Let's just say that "B" and the 37 year-old from the other day's chat had similar ideas. (LOL They really didn't know me at ALL. Did they? Oh, well. Their loss.) Wait. Let's also say that I very nicely allowed "B" to part my company without being smacked, and that I later learned he is a really bad tipper. (I don't date bad tippers if I know they are bad tippers.)

What happened to "R?" I'm not exactly sure. The last time he emailed me was several days ago. I responded but he was silent. Perhaps he found a more local woman to hold his interest? If so, good for him. Either way, I wish him well.

Maybe I will wait another few years before trying again to find a partner. Perhaps not. Perhaps I will just forget about romantic relationships altogether. What is available out there (for those who refuse to be homewreckers) is depressing. I really regret not having made a better choice years ago. I guess we will just have to wait to see what happens in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment