Wednesday, April 1, 2015

April Fool!

I am rather pleased with myself today. 

This morning, I was on a conference call doing some job training... Yes, I have finally buckled under the financial pressure of incoming bills combined with the almost no book sales and finally gotten a "real" job... and one of the other participants mentioned the date.

Eeek! I thought. I need to fool someone. Who can I fool? Not my trainer or any of the other call members, certainly. I am not going out of my house today and I expect no company, so who?? I let
the matter go and continued on. (Good thing, too, or I would have become consumed by the idea and unable to concentrate on work!)

Lunch break came and my thoughts turned to my son, who is flying to my parents' house today for an Easter visit. So I picked up my cell and called my mom. As her phone was ringing, an evil thought occurred to me. I immediately decided to implement it! Here is about how it went:

Mom: Oh, hi, honey.

Me: Hi. What are you doing?

Mom proceeded to tell me what she was doing.

Me: Oh, that explains why you're not home. [Note: I did not call her home. This was just part of my ruse.]

Mom, after some minor banter about being out: What's happening?

Me: Nothing. I'm just driving. I'll be at your house in just a few minutes.

Mom: You said you had job training today! You weren't supposed to be here till Saturday!!

I actually talked to Mom yesterday about my upcoming job training today, so she should have caught me in this prank right away. But she didn't. She was totally taken off-guard and started into a non-stop berating about how she was not expecting me and so on. I could almost hear her blood pressure rising and had to interrupt her to be able to say, "Mom, April Fool!"

We then both had a good laugh. (I'm glad my mom has a good sense of humor.)

What did you do for April Fools Day this year? Any fun pranks on friends or family?

No comments:

Post a Comment