Thursday, July 30, 2015

Memories and a Wedding


I remember my own wedding, years ago. I wanted a big, church wedding with all my family present. So even though we could not afford it, my honey and I went to my church and reserved the date. For some reason, the date I wanted, July 3, was not available so we reserved for the last Saturday in June.

Then life happened and somebody crashed his car into a tree late at night... twice. He just could not get enough of me and would not go home when he was still awake enough to drive. So I decided to
save his life and move in with him like he wanted. Needless to say, my parents were not pleased.

That was October 17, 1992. I did not talk to either of my folks for a month. Then, Thanksgiving came. I would not have called except it was also my mom's birthday and I always wish my mom a happy birthday. (Birthdays are important to recognize.) Actually, her birthday must have been the day after Thanksgiving that year.

Anyway, she told me I should not be "living in sin" with my fiance and we should get married if we were intent upon residing together. So when I was off the phone with her, I went up and consulted him. After a very short discussion ("Why are we waiting to get married again?" "I don't know." "You want to just do it?" "Okay."), I picked up the phone and dialed Mom's pastor. He agreed to squeeze in our vows during the reception dinner of another couple he was marrying two days later.

I was happy to be married and it worked out well for us because of more life coming our way, but I still longed for the wedding I had wanted. So, a few years later, when my honey wanted to join my church and we needed our marriage blessed in order for that to happen, I insisted that it be done in as proper a ceremony as possible. NONE of my family accepted their invitations and the ceremony was pretty much a bust. I was vastly disappointed. That was back in February 2000.

This year, 2015, my very first fan traveled to the USA to fulfill two lifelong dreams of hers. The first was to visit the USA. The second was for a beautiful wedding ceremony. Like mine, hers was a renewal of vows originally exchanged in less-than-ideal surroundings. How could I say no when she asked, two days before the ceremony, for me to be her matron of honor in a blessing at Madison West's Homewood Suites?

Please share this memory with me through the automated slideshow below:



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxlM0LTCflM 

(Note: Ceremony officiated by Reverend Joel Alberti of City Church.)

No comments:

Post a Comment