Monday, February 8, 2016

Mission Accomplished (Star Wars and the Alamo Drafthouse)

When Anne was a university freshman, she made friends with a couple of other students who were from Texas. She shared that she had lived in the Austin suburbs for a number of years. Somehow the conversation came around to her having never visited the +Alamo Drafthouse. She told me and I set a mental note of my new mission to take here there.

For those who don't know, the Drafthouse has nothing to do with beer. (Although I believe beer is available on the menu.) It is a cinema. But it is pretty unique because the seating is reserved (like seating on an airplane is reserved) and waitstaff serves patrons inside the movie theaters. In fact, there is not even a concession stand in the lobby and alcoholic beverages are on the menu.

The new +Star Wars movie came out on December 18 so Anne and I waited for her brother to be off work so we could see the movie together. That was one of our goals for the trip. He took us to the Drafthouse, thinking we would get our tickets and then go out to eat with one of his friends while we waited for the show. It was a good idea. The execution of the idea could have been better, though. We should have bought our tickets online before we left the house.

As it turned out, we did get to see the movie (Mission half accomplished) and we did have dinner with one of my son's two best friends (which made me quite happy as I have not seen him or caught up on his news since 2008). We did not, however, see the movie at the Alamo Drafthouse. We went to the cinema in the "new" shopping center by our old home -- the same shopping center that my real-life super-villain claimed to have been perusing without me (in a thick fog) when he was really meeting with his extra-marital partner... but that is a different story. The point is that we went to a cinema near our old house rather than to the Drafthouse.

My impression of the movie? Well, I have seen the original release of every Star Wars film so far and I am sorry to say that I was not incredibly impressed. In fact, I got up during the big light saber fight, visited the bathroom and came back without feeling I had missed anything. The movie was alright, I guess and I am glad I saw it in the cinema. But it was kind of a rehash of the original movies in a lot of ways: Han Solo taking the position of Obi Wan, Luke taking the position of Yoda, a girl as the new Luke and that black guy as the new Han. (Sorry, I don't remember the new characters' names yet.)

It was nice to see the original Star Wars cast back in action, though. In fact, I really loved seeing them together. It was also kind of nice to know a little of what happened between Han and Leia, though sad to discover they did not have a lifelong marriage. I really had hope for their relationship. Ah well. At least we know they loved each other to the very end and neither one remarried. That is something.

As for visiting the Drafthouse, Anne and I went back a couple of days later and saw a different movie. We both enjoyed the experience and now she can say she has been there. Mission complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment