Wednesday, December 5, 2018

In Search of a New Family Member


Snickers
It has been a year since we lost our beloved Snickers and we still miss him quite a bit. He really was an awesome dog. However, he is gone and it is time for us to have a new dog in our home. I have been getting ready for our next dog by watching dog training videos every night since we had to put Snickers down, but it has not been time to find a new pup.

I told my good friend, the other dog-lady, that I intended to wait until after Christmas -- when backyard breeders were ready to get rid of their unwanted "extras" for free (or super-cheap), and then save a pup from potentially being given to someone with not-so-nice plans for it. [Trying to keep this G-rated. Please read between the lines if you are an adult. I know that sounds sad -- and it IS sad, but free/cheap dogs being mistreated by sick people is a genuine societal problem and my intention was to subtract one dog from that situation.]

Well, I did not last until after Christmas. A few days before Thanksgiving, maybe a week, I started getting really antsy about finding a puppy and began checking Craigslist every day for unwanted pups. I did not think I would find one before Christmas but it was only a few days, on the day before Thanksgiving, when I found this ad:

Small Dog needs to be rehomed ([My City!])

Zoey is a 2 year old, spayed and up to date with all vaccines. She is healthy. We do not have time for her anymore due to health conditions with our family. She still potties in the house. We have tried many diff things to get her to go outside. If you try to pick her up she will piddle. I'm just being honest so you know what she needs to work on.

She walks on a leash or off a leash. She doesn't bite or growl at anyone. She will alert when someone is at the door. She will cuddle but she is a VERY TIMID dog. She prefers women to men.

She needs someone who is more patient with potty training and time. We just don't have time anymore.

She will come with her collar, leash, 3 doggie diapers.

Asking a rehoming fee of $25. Call or email to visit her.

There was no photo.

Now tell me that dog was not in danger of becoming subject to ill-treatment and see if I believe you. She totally fit the bill for what I had told the other dog-lady I intended to adopt and the fact that she was right near me cinched the deal, so I emailed a response to the ad right away and scheduled to go meet the dog on Saturday, right after my daughter got out of work.

The next day was Thanksgiving and my parents and son came over for dinner. I showed them the ad and told them I planned to get the dog. This was their opportunity to cast a vote in one direction or another as to my getting the dog, but all they really did was talk about the housebreaking issue. Not a problem. I am happy that I did not have to veto any of their votes.

To Be Continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment