Thursday, December 9, 2010

Morning Humor

Yesterday when I went to the chiropractor, I remarked to him about how cold it is outside. 

Dr. Chris took one look at me and said, "Well, you might be cold because of what you're wearing."

When I go out during winter, I wear a coat. I usually unzip my coat but do not take it off as I run errands. But in the chiropractor's office, I generally hang my coat on his coat rack before I go back to get my adjustment. Yesterday, when I hung up my coat, I revealed a sleeveless red top. This top is what Dr. Chris indicated as he spoke about what I was wearing.

I laughed at him and explained that I wear a sweater at home, but I usually just keep on my coat when I am out. Let me tell you, Dr, Chris is pretty sharp. He did not even take a breath before he replied, "Oh, so then, you're like Mr. Rogers. You take off your coat and put on your sweater when you come into the house... walk down the stairs, feed the fish."  

Again, I had to laugh. But I had a response for him, "Kind of... but I don't have a song to sing as I do."

"Well, I think you should!" He sing-songed, "I'm taking off my coat and I'm putting on my sweater..." I laughed again. Funny.

This morning, I remembered the coversation as I removed my sweater and put on my coat to take some trash and compost out of the house. Mom was standing in the kitchen, so I told her about it. She did not seem to find my story as funny as I did. First thing in the morning and coffee not yet in hand, she just sort of smiled.

Most people don't realize this by looking at me, but I did a lot of babysitting for my little sister and baby brother when I was a teen. I also have two children of my own. I have seen considerably more Mr. Rogers than is probably healthy for me and I actually remember the song he used to sing on his children's show. On my way back into the house, I decided to make my mom laugh. Taking off my coat, I began singing, "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood...." I walked into the living area to put on my sweater singing, "won't you please, won't you please?
Please won't you be my neighbor?"

No comments:

Post a Comment