Friday, April 1, 2011

Ultimate Control

I received an answer to prayer yesterday and I did not even realize it until mid-day today. Thank goodness the Lord is patient because it takes me a little while to process things sometimes. Here is what happened:

For the longest time, I have had the feeling that my prodigal will be home before his support payments end. I have never really doubted it because I have just had this feeling all along. Even so, I was not really worried if the money did run out because I fancy myself to be moderately intelligent and I felt confident that my writing, in addition to seasonal tax work, would be enough for me to make a modest living. Besides that, I have a promise. Here it is:

So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:31-34

And I have not worried...until recently.

Recently, I have been having serious doubts and, yes, even fears. Doubtful "what if" questions plague me and nothing seems to be going in he right direction. Obstacle after obstacle seems to be getting in my way and no matter how hard I try to remember to trust, I find myself protesting in anguish, "but Lord...."

One of my biggest fears is not knowing how I will possibly support myself after our daughter turns 18. As a woman without a work history, I have difficulty finding decent jobs that will hire me. As a disabled person, I have significant difficulties in keeping the ones that do. Unwilling to live with my parents for the rest of my life and refusing to commit adultery through "re"-marriage, I have grown increasingly worried over the last few months. Finally, about three weeks ago, I cried up to heaven using the name of the Son rather than what I usually use, that of the Father.

"Please help me."

>>> Fast Forward >>>

Yesterday, the house phone rang. I did not recognize the number, so I let Dad answer. He turned on the speaker phone.

"Hello!"

A recorded voice came on the line. It said something about disabled Americans.

"Wonderful," I thought. "It is for me. I hate these stupid calls from the government. I wonder what they want now."

Because I have not been to any government offices or placed any phone calls for years, I knew the must want something.  I craned my neck to hear the message as Dad continued to walk away from me. After about a minute, he called out, "I think this is for you!" (Old men are so funny sometimes.) He walked back to hand me the phone.

As I listened to the message, my ears perked up enough that I actually wrote down the url it was talking about. Then I looked it up online. It was an employment agency for disabled Americans who want to return to work. Today, I checked with the Social Security Administration to see if the company is legitimate and it is! Furthermore, I was directed to a website that lists other legitimate employment services for disabled Americans.

So here is kind of a funny reflection for today. I called up to Jesus for help and the government called me back. Tell me who is in ultimate control.

No comments:

Post a Comment