Saturday, October 15, 2011

A Memory of My Sister

My little sister is getting married and today is her bridal shower. Originally, it was my intention to attend the shower BUT I really need to lose weight for the wedding -and- I have to drive North tomorrow for my handiman to do more house renovations -and- my daughter, Anne, accidentally reminded me that there are going to be GAMES at the shower. I hate games. (Anne says that my dislike for games is "lame.") I don't remember why I hate them, but whatever the reason, it happened sometime after I married her dad. I just do not like to compete.

Back to my story.... As part of my sister's bridal shower, she asked all of her guests to write a memory of her onto a 4x6 card she provided in her invitations. Even though I am not going to the shower, I have been thinking all week about what to write. This morning, I got up early to type it out. (It was suppposed to be printed on the card, but I could not write small enough for all my words to fit.) Then I slipped it into the envelope with Anne's and my joint gift card. The memory will be my post for today. Feel free to let me know in comments how it touches your heart.

A Memory of My Sister

From looking for the top or your 8 lb. 10 oz. head to touch light, to being the only person you would let comb your curly locks, to weekends at our house during University years, to watching you prepare for your wedding, how do I choose just one memory to relay?

I think my favorite comes from when you were about 1 1/2 years old. Mom was pregnant (again) and very tired. She slept whenever she possibly could and the responsibility fell to me, as her eldest female child, to keep you occupied as she napped away the afternoons.

Every day after school, I would come home and Mom would go to bed. Well, what does a young teen do with a baby? Change her diaper, chase her around the house, try to figure out her personal version of sign language, and... watch cartoons. You and I had a 4 pm date with the Thundercats (Ho!). They were the newest cartoon at the time and they were very cool.

Mom and Dad had this big, overstuffed recliner at the time and it was located directly in front of the TV (better for watching football). At 4:00, I would turn on the TV, pick you up and lean back in the recliner. We watched every episode as it aired, and then we watched the reruns.

"Thundercats are on the move, Thundercats are loose! Feel the magic, hear the roar...." wafted through the air as sudden silence fell over the family room. Peace reigned for half an hour as you cuddled with me, little eyes glued to the tube, watching Lion-o heroicly learn his daily lesson in words you did not yet understand.

Now you cuddle your fiance with open eyes in front of a new Thundercats, but I am okay with it. That's what I taught you to do.

I love you, baby sister. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. You caught a good man. May your love for each other grow deeper each day as your lives intertwine with the joy of being complete together.





~ author Beth Durkee

No comments:

Post a Comment