Thursday, October 20, 2011

Progress of My Project House

I just got back from another trip to work on my project house. My trip this time was very short -- only three nights, and I mostly just "supervised" my handi-men. (In other words, I took pictures.) Ugh. I am tired.


The Project House as I bought it

While I was not "supervising," I spent a day painting the upstairs "master" bedroom with a $5 can of "oops" paint. I ran out of paint before it was done, but it was just my base coat anyway and the room looks much better now. Next time I go up, maybe I will paint the room its final color -- chocolate brown. We will have to see if I have enough time.

Good news is that the outside of the house is almost finished, thanks to the efforts of Vern at Honey-Do Contractors. Once the little bit of painting is done and the concrete steps are moved, we are done with the outside of the house until next Spring (or summer) when I add a gravel driveway. The huge tree stump is still in the back yard, and that needs to be addressed. In addition, I need to have a truckload of dirt brought in to level out and raise the back yard just enough to keep rain from pooling back there. I also would like a fence for my dog to run around the yard. But all those things can wait (indefinitely if need be).

What I thought would be fun for this blog post is to show some pictures of the progress the outside of the house has made since I bought it at tax auction in Fall of 2009. So here we go:

After the Vegetation was Removed (thanks to the 3 neighbors Mike)
and the Front was Sided (courtesy of my brother, Eric)
Painted the Front Siding White

Replaced Front Porch and Jacked-Up Small Room

Replaced Breaking Bay Window

Added Guard Rail to Porch, Added New Front Door, Added Landing for Door

Finished Railing for Front Porch, Added Railing to Landing, Added Temorary Front Steps

Painted the new under-window siding.
Doesn't my project house look nice now?
The moral of today's story: When direction is given to the right amount of effort and a good vision for what can be, even the seemingly HOPELESS becomes POSSIBLE. (Wait till I plant flowers next Spring!)

Now to the Inside....

~ author Beth Durkee

**** New Photo **** August 2014 Update ****

New roof & siding installed (still needs to be painted), & windows wrapped.






1 comment:

  1. well done=i like what u have done to this shack.now it,s a place of living in HOME.

    ReplyDelete