Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Independence At Last

Last Saturday was a big day. Family members donated time and a moving truck was scheduled weeks in advance. My household belongings were finally, after almost four years, being moved out of cellars and into their own home -- my project house. How happy my furniture is to be in its own home again!


The day was uneventful. It was just a lot of work. I guess the biggest issue was that the moving truck was not available at the time or place it was scheduled for pick-up. Thus, my parents drove an extra hour and a half to fetch it from where it was and we got off to a 3-hour late start.

The other thing was that my mom did not quite remember how many things I brought with me when I moved to stay with her for a while. She was still laughing at the size of the truck as she drove it into her driveway. In fact, when I originally told her how big my truck was, she so doubted I would need that much space that she offered the extra to help my nephew for his move into his new apartment, halfway between my brother's house and mine.

That was fine. I love to help my nephew however I can and was glad to be of service. But it was kind of funny to watch as my things were moved around so that his things could be smushed in beside them. As it turns out, I did not really overestimate my space needs by all that much. I reserved the best size truck availabe to me.

Starting at noon, moving two households out of storage and then into residences, and driving almost 4 hours, my 10-person family crew worked together to accomplish what needed to be done in just 10 hours. Then we celebrated with late-night beer and bratworst, and sat in my newly furnished, unfinished project-home. I will begin living there on July first, mere days before U.S. Independence Day. (How fitting.)

I cannot wait to set up lawn chairs in my back yard and watch fireworks explode as they are shot out over the Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment