Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Long Con

Some crazy stuff goes on in the world, these days. Even educated and intelligent people (like me!) can get stung by it. Anybody with a good heart can become a victim.

Over the past few days, I discovered that I have unknowingly fallen prey to a "long con." That is where someone works their way into your confidence, pretending to be your friend, and then sticks you for a large sum of money. It is not nice and it is illegal, but getting help from law enforcement agencies is proving quite difficult.

I watch about this kind of stuff on TV! In fact, White Collar is one of my favorite shows. I should have known better, but I was recently targeted by such a con and am now going through pains to try to straighten it all out. I have had no luck securing the assistance of either my credit card or local law enforcement, but a friend gave me some good advice and I am acting on it. Let's see what happens.

As readers of my books can attest, I heartily believe in sharing my experiences so that others can learn from them. When everything is said and done with this embarrassing one, be assured that I will be writing about it! (Until then, of course, I will be giving NO details to anyone that is not directly involved.)

1 comment:

  1. I am back from small claims court and won my suit. I did NOT, however, win the punitive damages I was asking because the judge was on the fence as to whether or not the theft was intentional from the beginning. -- Ah, well. Lesson learned. Now to the rigmarole of collecting the judgment. What a hassle!

    ReplyDelete