Sunday, March 17, 2013

Just do it.

Whew! I did it. I RESISTED the warm, corned beef sandwich being sold by the grocery store at lunch today. Didn't go anywhere near it. . . went to my Mexican restaurant for a SALAD, instead. I skipped the chips, too. So, tomorrow morning, maybe I will have maintained my weight loss and my diet will not have been TOTALLY blown.

Did I say, "weight loss?" Why, yes, I did. For the past week, I have been on a new diet. About a week and a half ago, my mom informed me that she has been diagnosed with celiac disease. That means that not only does she need to monitor her carbohydrate intake because of her type 2 diabetes, but now she also has to steer her eating habits away from gluten (a type of protein). Concerned that I do not want to follow in Mom's dietary-restriction footsteps, I decided to look online for information.

Believe it or not, that is how it dawned on me that, without children or a husband in the house (at least for now), I can not only cook what and when I want, I can UTILIZE that freedom to finally diet without inconveniencing my family! (Geesh. It took me long enough to connect the dots. Didn't it?) My excuses that a diet can NOT work are now less that my reasons to MAKE a diet work.  I decided right then and there that it is time to just do it.

I was already online and looking up the word "diet" because of wantng to know what Mom should no longer eat. Diet plans were already popping up on my screen. I found myself looking at one on FormulaZone.com that looked very doable to me. I bit the bullet and spent the money.

I have tried ediets before and failed at losing weight. Of course, that was also when I was taking care of the dietary needs of other people in my household. I cooked things I could not eat, felt hungry all the time and watched as my husband munched on candy bars that he brought home from work on almost a daily basis. NOT my idea of fun and I lost almost nothing.

I also tried Atkins. My husband went on that one with me. Meat is masculine, so that diet was cool. HE lost pounds quickly and was able to reintroduce carbohydrates into HIS menu without ever really missing them. I, on the other hand, dropped just under 10 pounds and then hit a plateau I could not get out of -- even though I was still eating ZERO carbs. I began being able to smell the sugar in EVERYTHING, all foods, especially the ones I cooked for my spouse and could not eat. I was completely miserable. When we went on the cruise I had been dieting for, I gained my weight all back -- and then some!

Then, there was a diet from Quick Weight Loss. That one actually worked really well. I was dropping pounds and inches, and I had great support -- both from the plan providers and at home. It turns out that when a guy has to shell out a HUGE chunk of cash so that his wife can manage to lose a few pounds, he becomes VERY supportive. The problem with that diet, though, were 1) It cost a LOT and I am now beyond broke 2) I needed to buy specific, proprietary "supplements." 3) It went very heavy on meat, which gave me some problems with constipation and 4) There are no offices anywhere near me for weigh-ins and measurements and 5) The foods I could eat were so limited and the recipes provided were so few that it was always hard for me to figure out what to cook each night. (We ate LOTS of chicken, a meat my daughter detests to this very day!)

In contrast, my newest diet was affordable ($25 for 3 months), provides meal recipes with menu plans, allows me to chart my weight online (SO COOL), and even prints out my shopping list for me! With all those tools to help me succeed and nobody around to sabbotage my efforts, my biggest problem is controlling temporary cravings and urges to eat lunch out. Last week, I did alright. I lost five pounds in one week!

At this rate, I will definitely fit into my "little black dress" for Darryl Markette's "Pinko de Mayo" fundraiser concert.... I just need to maintain my will power and DO it. I think I can, I think I can.... [channeling The Little Engine Who Could.]

No comments:

Post a Comment