Friday, May 17, 2013

Excitement of the Week

I am so EXCITED I can barely contain myself! A little bit ago, I found an affordable cover artist whom I commissioned to do the covers of three of my books - The Mahogany King's Daughter (an ebook prequel to The Disposable Noble Wife. I have one chapter finished so far, but have been too busy to write much more), Navigating Marital Abandonment and The Disposable Noble Wife.

The Disposable Noble Wife
All the finished covers are amazing and, let me tell you, it is quite a high to see your name on a professionally designed cover with an award seal on it.

Because I want to actually use the new covers on my books, I needed to take them down for reformatting. Since I received a reader comment on The Disposable Noble Wife about poor grammar (very unlikely) and since, a couple of years ago, I had a computer crash issue that left me copy/pasting my book file from a PDF (a story in itself), I decided that I would use the opportunity of my book being down to go through and fix whatever "grammar" problems I could find.

I found no real grammar issues (of course), but I did find some missing  words and quite a few punctuation errors - which I blame on my state of mind at the time I was writing. Anyway, that is what I was doing and why I was doing it when I had a brilliant idea. I have a friend who is a chef, owns her own catering business, and LOVES The Disposable Noble Wife.

I called her and suggested that if she wanted and could carve out the time to create a signature dessert named for the book, I would place its picture and appropriate text on my last page. Keep in mind that my friend, Chef Natalie, is very busy and has tons of catering orders all the time. She is always cooking, no matter what time of day I call and I really did not know if she could find time to create a dessert to name after my book, but I thought the idea was good and I figured I should at least offer it to her.

Her response: "REALLY???"

Then after I confirmed: "Honey, I can CARVE anything you want! I'll make you a Noble Wife Dessert you wouldn't believe it'll be so good!"

Her response had me grinning ear-to-ear. (I love my friends!) I languished in the feeling for about a day as I edited. Then I had another brilliant idea. A while back, I took copies of my award-winning books to my parish office as a gift. I just had a feeling that here I am in town and Church is frequently the first place injured spouses go for consolation and advice (I know it was my first stop). I should donate copies of the resources I have written to my own Church. So I did. I was quiet about my donation but it turns out that my Associate Pastor is an avid reader. He put my books on his stack of reading material and, eventually, read Navigating Marital Abandonment.

His single-word comment on the book he read was, "Wonderful!"

He did not get around to reading The Disposable Noble Wife, though, and I thought, "I wonder if Father Mike would like to read my revised copy and write a foreword for it?"

The next day, on my way home from taking my daughter, Anne, to drop off a job application, I stopped at the parish office to talk to Father Mike and extend the invitation. He was not there, so I wrote him a note and slipped it under the door to his office. Two days later (which was yesterday), I stopped by again to get his response.

GUESS WHAT!? (I love priests.) It has been a full day and I still cannot stop grinning. That's what. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment