Sunday, September 1, 2013

Forgotten item

Ah, time to return my daughter, Anne, to her university studies for the Fall and we had not have any "summer fun" yet -- unless you include watching her play (and try to design) video games on my couch as fun. Summer goes by so fast. Nevertheless, it was already time to make the long drive that would leave me alone again until Christmas.

I decided use the drive as an opportunity. An opportunity for what? Well, we could have a mini-vacation by visiting for a few days with my family. Also, I wanted to "bug bomb" my house before winter and being gone for a week was a good time to do it. So we packed up the car, covered the dishes... and went out to lunch.

Sure enough, Anne and I both remembered at lunch the things we had forgotten to pack. We returned to the house for the forgotten items, the dog and to set off the bug bombs. Just as we were about to set off the bug bombs, my mom called to see where we were on the road and when we would be arriving at her house. She wanted to know if we had plans for dinner or if we could come down to my brother's building lot for a barbeque picnic. I told her to count on us being there for dinner in 3.5 hours.

We locked the door behind us as we left the house, bug bombs spraying poison into the air. Then proceeded to our nearest service station to wash our hands. That is when we discovered we had forgotten one of the most important items of the day's drive -- the dog leash!

We could not go back into the house to get it, so I decided to just buy a new one when we were stopped to wash our hands. Believe it or not, the service station did not sell them. Inwardly, I debated: Should we go to Walmart to buy another leash and, thereby, arrive later than promised to the picnic? Or should we drive the 3.5 hours there without a leash in the car?

It was a serious debate and I almost risked it. I have made this drive countless times and rarely had to stop for the dog. But my final decision was to err on the side of caution, stop to buy a leash and try to make up the lost time by taking a 1/2 hour "shorter" (dependent on traffic) route through Milwaukee instead of my usual route.

ALWAYS ERR ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION! Snickers needed to stop THREE TIMES on the 3-hour drive. It seems that something (maybe the excitement of a family trip?) had given him a case of diarrhea. As it turns out, that day, his leash was the worst thing to have forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment