Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Character Interview: Darragh

Remember to download your free copy of Engaging Enchantment from Amazon.com today (November 19, 2014).
  
Today we interview Darragh, a commoner from Hibernia. Darragh was a sailor in King Charles' navy until he was caught trying to elope with Princess Elysant two days ago. His job used to keep him very busy until he was put under house arrest and he spent much of his off-duty hours with friends in Melador's alehouse. His favorite activities are wooing women, drinking ale and testing get-rich-quick schemes.

Reporter: Darragh, you seem quite smitten with the princess. But it is highly unusual for a commoner to have close access to a royal. I have to ask: How did you meet?
Darragh: Remember that I am Hibernian by birth, not Scilleian. When I met Elysant, I had no idea who she was. I came here to join the navy and after Basic Training, I was assigned to work in the office doing paperwork, filing and other administrative tasks. I was just doing my job when she came in with her brother to get Captain Barwick for lunch. (They do that a lot. They all grew up together, you know.)

I really did not know who she was. When the Captain and Prince Caddaric (I did not know he was the prince, either. He acted just like any normal officer) went behind closed doors for a few moments to discuss something of naval importance, they left Eysant in the office with me. She looked lonely and uncomfortable so I struck up a conversation with her.  I'm a good person and I try to do the right thing when I can. Talking to her seemed like the right thing to do under the circumstances, so that's what I did.

Reporter: I see. What it love at first sight? Or what compelled you to pursue her?
Darragh: Love at first sight does not exist. She is very attractive and when she told me that she was unmarried, I just asked her out. She said no but didn't tell me why, so I asked again the next time she was waiting alone in the office. I just kept asking until she finally said yes.

Reporter: So it was the hard-to-get play that snagged you?
Darragh: Well, that and the hideous earrings she wore to our first date: Dangle earrings that looked like fish on hooks -- and one of them had clay on it! I remember thinking that she had come to the date trying to get me to give up and go away. But there was no way I was going to let her make me give up that way. So I asked her out a second time.

Reporter: Sorry, but did you say dangle fish earrings with clay on one?
Darragh: Yes, I did... and they were purple. She later told me that she wore the fish because I am a sailor. I don't know what fish have to do with sailing, but okay. She also said she had no idea about the clay on one. She had just been enjoying sculpting earlier in the day and did not realize her earring got dirty. Of course, I did not know that at the time. I just assumed she was trying to get rid of me.

Reporter:  After you discovered that Elysant was the princess, why didn't you stop seeing her? Don't you know she is betrothed?
Darragh: Of course I know she is betrothed. The whole kingdom is talking about how her marriage to the duke will solidify the alliance with Wessex. But by the time I figured out who Elysant was, I already liked her a lot. I am not going to give her up if being with her makes me happy. I don't deserve less because I was born a regular man, and I would get no benefit from giving her up so that she could marry the duke.

Reporter: Aren't you afraid that the difference in your social statuses and upbringing will cause problems in a marriage?
Darragh: Why would I be? She is a woman. If she doesn't conform to what I want, I can always divorce her and send her back to her parents. Then she can marry the duke if she wants.

Reporter: But don't you know that once a lady weds a commoner, she becomes ineligible for re-marriage to a noble?
Darragh:  I don't believe that.

Reporter: Okay. Well, that was enlightening. Thank you, Darragh, for taking time for our interview today. It was a pleasure learning more about you.
Darragh: Sure. Whatever. When do I get paid?

Come back tomorrow for a character interview with Blinkifizz.

Discover Darragh in Engaging Enchantment by Beth Durkee. Available exclusively from Amazon. (Kindle Unlimited Lending Library eligible book.)


*****
Have you joined my blog subscribers? The links are in the right sidebar. --> -->
Readers can subscribe to posts or follow by email. Never miss a new post. Join today!
*****

No comments:

Post a Comment