Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The Joke

My parents drove up to visit and help me with some household construction over the long, Labor Day weekend. "We" (by which I mean mostly "they") put up crown molding in my entryway (aka foyer or vestibule or any number of synonyms in my mother's extensive vocabulary), patched some holes in my walls that I did not know how to attack, used power tools they brought to cut and lay down laminate flooring, and repaired a hole in my ceiling that magically appeared when the crown molding was being installed. It was a huge job that took the better part of two and a half days. Thank goodness for Mom and Dad!

At either the beginning or end of a lunch break, I can't remember which, my mom was up and in the entryway while Dad was sitting with me in the
living room. Out of the blue, he addressed me, "You know, you wouldn't be here if it weren't for your mother."

It was a completely off-topic comment, not unusual for someone whose brain makes hyper-quick connections. (My dad has a genius IQ.) I figured I should ask what he meant. Maybe Mom swayed a decision in my major medical issues or some other aspect of my life and the construction we were doing reminded him of it? I didn't know and Dad clearly was giving her credit for something. So I asked, "How so?"
His answer:
"Well, she's the one who got pregnant."

Mom grimaced. I guess she expected it after so long of being together. I, on the other hand, did not expect it at all. He took me completely by surprise. In the middle of this enormous construction project, tools and sawdust everywhere with lots more work to do, Dad had made an off-topic joke. It came out of nowhere like a kamikaze attack and I could not help myself. I burst out laughing.

What an awesome way to momentarily break the tension in our day.

No comments:

Post a Comment