Friday, September 4, 2015

Trump vs. Ramos: My Opinion

This piece is a little bit after the fact but I keep hearing about it and I have something to say. 

One of the sweetest ladies I have ever met and one of my favorite people of all time, an ex-neighbor of mine from Texas who happens to be a naturalized citizen, posted up to Facebook a somewhat hurt and rather angry comment / video in response to Donald Trump's altercation with Univision's Jorge Ramos. So I am bothered. Liberal media seems to be spinning the incident as Ramos asking too difficult of a question and Trump not wanting to answer. Liberal media is being stupid: What's new? My dear friend is upset and hurt: It bothers me.

So I am going to give my thoughts and here they are.  I saw a more extended piece of the video than is being broadcast around the majority of media and I beg to differ with the claim that Trump was either afraid to answer tough questions -or- being prejudiced against hispanics.

Firstly, who are we talking about? Straightforward, Blunt, Tell-it-like-it-is, I-don't-care-about-anyone's-feelings, Never-apologize, Multi-millionaire businessman, Donald frikken Trump. No question is one that he is afraid to answer because he thinks he is right and people who disagree can just suck it up. He sticks his foot in his mouth with the WAY he says things ALL THE TIME and people kind of expect he will. In fact, we kind of love the brazen way in which he does. So much so that we have made him quite a bit of money by watching his reality TV programs. Even proposing there is a question or series of questions that he is reluctant to answer when the public loves his blunt responses is kind of amusing.

Photo from http://www.freespirit.com
That said, Ramos did not really ask a question. He BEGAN to ask a question and got stopped. But why? We have just established that "the Donald" is not afraid to answer questions. Well, believe it or not, there indeed ARE some rules of conduct to which even Mr. Trump adheres and Ramos broke one of the more basic rules: He interrupted.

In Ramos' defense, he is a go-getting reporter. But, honestly, the other reporters quieted THEIR questions when Mr. Trump called on one of their number. Ramos should have extended the same courtesy. He did not. When Trump tried to continue over the rude interruption in respect to the reporter who was called and all the other listeners, Ramos continued with his rudeness. He would not WAIT HIS TURN so Trump had him temporarily removed from the room. I'm sure he would likely have done something similar in a meeting with business people instead of reporters. It is the way he operates. But the liberal media is having a hay day spinning the incident all out of control. They want Trump to apologize. (Newsflash: Not happening.)

Why?

As a mom and average citizen, I react in kind of the same way. For example, the neighbor girl (a first grader I think) interrupted me once while I was talking to another neighbor by my back yard. I tried to ignore the interruption but she persisted. So I stopped my conversation and sternly told her that she was being rude and she should either wait her turn or go away. Just like what Trump did to Ramos. But unlike Ramos, the neighbor girl waited quietly for a few moments till she got bored and found better uses for her time.

Perhaps the media thinks I should apologize to the neighbor girl? Sorry media. Not happening.

My question: If a little girl can figure out how to comply with basic rules of turn-taking, why can't an adult man?  

Hint: It has nothing to do with his Latin blood or any unasked, theoretically "too tough" questions.


No comments:

Post a Comment