Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Kentucky Gay Marriage Clerk Thing

Image from ABC News at http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/
ap_kentucky_clerk_gay_marriage_01_jc_150901_16x9_992.jpg
This will be short.

Let me begin by saying that I pretty much hate the news. For decades, I have done my best to avoid it. It is depressing and mostly negative. I like being happy, so I try really hard to concentrate on positives. News and I do not mix well. But sometimes... Sigh.

Let me also add that I am a political conservative and a Catholic Christian who has read enough of the Bible, especially on the topic of marriage, to know what it says. Jesus, Himself, makes several comments on marriage. But they are mostly comments regarding divorce. Divorce, as far as Jesus is concerned, is adultery. Divorce and remarriage, also adultery. But do most claimed "Christians" observe divorces? Yes. Second marriages while an original spouse is still alive?  Yes. Do we hear any hubub about Christian clerks denying marriage licenses to divorced people? No.

Why?

But what does it matter? Marriage according to the law of man does not have to agree with marriage in the eyes of God. God is going to get the final and eternal say. As far as what He says about Gay Marriage? Jesus says in Matthew that men who have sexual relations with men will not find life (aka go to heaven). I am pretty sure He is telling the truth.

So what do I say? I say this woman is being stupid by causing a futile and irritating disturbance. Christians are not called to impose our beliefs on others. We are called to peace (reference 1 Corinthians 7:15). I say obey the calling to live in peace. Adhere to the Supreme Court decision and issue the gay marriage licenses. Let God take care of the consequences.

What do you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment