Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Another New Project

Well, nobody thinks I can do it. They all think I am crazy. ...Except... my mom, of course... and my brother... and my sister... I am not sure about my other brother because he is a WAY long-distance call, so I never talk to him. But he is coming back to the States for a visit in a few months, so he can tell me then what he thinks. Of course, the experiment will be finished by then. But whatever. He can still tell me.

My daughter likely believes I can do it because she eats for just $3 a day in campus housing and my kitchen equipment is superior to hers, plus I have time to actually cook whereas she is supposed to be studying. My son? Well, he is my oldest so has seen me do some amazing feats of budgeting in his lifetime. I have not asked, but I am confident I have his support.

Yes, my family knows better than to think I cannot do something I am determined to do. They have witnessed me do too many impossible things to nay-say me and then be made to look like fools. It's just everybody else who has no faith. They all think I will starve on a $1.50 daily food budget (no couponing or sales allowed). They don't seem to get it that it is not necessarily the amount of food eaten, but the choice of the items on my daily menus. In fact, I was talking to a lady today about it. She is a familiar face and a pleasant woman, a wife and grandmother who works at a local restaurant. She laughed about eating only a fraction of a sausage link for breakfast to stay within budget.

Sigh. I got more support when I started building a castle lawn-ornament out of soda cans. (I am still working on that project, by the way... and people are still donating their soda cans to my crazy venture.) But that project was just insane. It was not impossible.

Okay, so I admit: It would be ridiculous to expect to have a full breakfast with hotcakes, sausages, eggs, coffee and fruit juice on the budget of 50 cents for the meal. But, honestly. Who eats like that on a daily basis? Who has time? I know I don't! For me, it's usually a granola bar out of a box or, more frequently, I just skip breakfast altogether. Now, I will be making an effort to eat breakfast every day. It is part of my "$1.50 diet experiment." I am proving or disproving whether it can be comfortable to eat 3 meals on the worldwide average daily food budget.

Soda and coffee will have to go away, of course (although I am working on the coffee thing), because they are just too expensive. That will be uncomfortable for a few days. But I have to say, my biggest fears are either not being able to meet the $1.50 goal at all (which, academically, I know I can) or not having enough variety for my palate. I really don't like eating the same thing all of the time. It gets boring.

It is just an experiment. If it is successful, great! Maybe I can pay my real estate taxes this year and begin to pay down my credit card. If not, well, then I have learned something and lost nothing. This is a truly no-lose situation.

So why does everybody say I can't do it? Why isn't everyone excited to try it out with me? Well, I do have one friend who is willing. She thinks she will be hungry but at least she wants to test my hypothesis with me. Talk about being supportive! She is a good friend. I cannot wait till she finds out how full she is going to be while saving money on her food bill. In fact, I am already grinning in anticipation of the discussion.

So when do I begin this ridiculous venture? I anticipate that this Sunday will be the official first day. I have already started some preparations and a blog so that people can watch and participate in my progress. I  could use some encouragement, so be sure to check it out at http://dollarfiftydiet.blogspot.com/ and leave some positive comments.

P. S. Recipes and ideas for staying within budget are also appreciated. (HINT)

No comments:

Post a Comment